Suggest alternative of indomethacin for Hermicranea Continua treatment

Dear Dr Grief, My daughter has been diagnosed with Hermicranea Continua. She suffers from severe stomach problems with indomethacin. We have been looking at alternatives, do you have an opinion on Gliacin? We have researched alternatives on the internet and have recently come up with Gliacin. XXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer: COX 2 inhibitors or Topiramate Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am sorry to say that Dr Grief is not available for now. Its a very common problem where Indomethacin presents with acid peptic symptoms but most often tolerated when combined with an antacid. If she was not on any antacid , I suggest her to try one. Other alternatives which are equally effective and have less GI side effects include COX2 inhibitors like Rofecoxib and celecoxib. Also anticonvulsant like Topiramate is a better alternative. Gliacin products since herbal, we may not expect any side effects but the effect may not be as good as the above drugs. Regards,