Suggest OTC medication for anxiety

I have taken klonopin for many years for anxiety that accompanies chronic depression. I am about to take a trip to Asia for 2 months, and I cannot get my med. refilled for the entire time. Are there any non-narcotic medications that are available or OTC treatments?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Am sorry, there are none OTC! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this difficulty getting your medications refilled for the entire period while you are away. I understand how frustrating this is and hope something gets done to help you address this. I am so sorry but klonopin(clonazepam) has no OTC substitute. They are very strictly regulated drugs because of the potential of abuse. I will suggest that you inform your doctor about the length of this trip so that he can consider making the prescription available for the entire duration. If this fails, the other idea would be to get this medication refilled while in India as it is also available in other names like Epitril, Epizam and Ozepam. It will simply mean getting a doctor there to do the refill. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish you well. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Suggest OTC medication for anxiety 6 hours later
I will only be going to Asian countries-Hong Kong, China, Myanmar, Laos, Bhutan, Laos and, at the very beginning, Australisa. I have read of some herbal possibilities that contain valerian, chamomile, lemon balm. I know that chamomile tea helps me. Do you know anything about these? It's not only a problem with my doctor, but my insurance. The prescriptions Atorvastatin. One pharmacy shows Vastatin (I think) as a generic. Is that correct? I have called my doctor's office 8 times in the last 1 1/2 days and cannot even get a receptionist to answer. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: This drug is prsesnt in all countries Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. I am so sorry about this difficulty getting the problem fixed with your doctor and insurance. I do not know exactly why but I would like to see them get reasonable and flexible and not otherwise. Does your insurance follow through wherever you go? You can always have these drugs in any country around the world. If you can pay, then the doctors would be able to refill for you and make sure that you continue taking your medications are intended. I honestly do not have any information concerning herbal products. I rarely recommend them because they are not FDA approved. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.