Suffering with severe piles, expecting a baby. Given ofloxin. Should I go for surgery and medication?

Rheumatologist
Question
Im 30, suffering with severe piles..expecting a baby, i should test pregnancy on 15th or 16th, went to a dr today she gave me ofloxin 400mg. i told her im expecting a baby, in internet ofloxin is classified as pregnancy C drugs, with teratogenic effects especially during 1st trimester. Can I do surgery to remove the piles, if pregnancy is positive will the baby be affected because of removing piles and the medications used?
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

You are right in saying that ofloxacin comes in pregnancy category C .There are no well defined studies in pregnant women to establish its safety. Ofloxacin should be used in pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus . In your case you can discuss with your treating doctor regarding this so that he can change the medicine.

Well the decision for surgery depends on the grade of piles and it is considered as the last resort . Earlier conservative treatments are tried . Injections with sclerosing agents , Rubber band ligation etc are also used. The decision lies with your treating doctor .

Wish you a good health .

Dr. Shruti