Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering with protein leakage in urine. Not cured by medicine. Will it lead to severe kidney problem?

Jan 2013

Hello Doctor, I have been suffering with Protein Leakage in Urine problem since 2011 November. Now I am taking treatment here in Bangalore. The protein level in urine is keep increasing. I am following the medicines as per doctor advise. But i am not seeing any improvement.Now protein level in urine shows as +++. What is the red alert? Will i face any severe kidney problem in the future. What should i do apart from taking medicines to reduce the protein level in urine. Also I am planning to get marry. Does this problem affect my marriage life? Thanks for the support.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

1) Kindly mention following question in detail:
a) What is your age?
b) What was your primary diagnosis?
c) Any associated disease such as Diabetes mellitus/ Hypertension/ Nephrotic
syndrome/ multi system involvement/ joint involvement

2) Proteinuria may be a sign that your kidneys are damaged and that you are at risk for end-stage renal disease and hemodialysis/ renal transplant may be required.

3) You should go for following investigation:
a) 24 hour urinary protein excretion to diagnose nephrotic / nephritic range
b) Urinalysis and microscopic examination on at least 3 separate occasions
c) Albumin-to-creatinine or protein-to-creatinine ratio in random urine sample
d) Serum creatinine, albumin, cholesterol, and blood glucose
e) Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs), anti-DNA antibodies, complement levels, and
f) Hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV serologies
g) Urine and plasma protein electrophoresis
h) USG kidney and biopsy if needed.

4) Proteinuria may cause following complications:
a) Pulmonary edema due to fluid overload
b) Acute renal failure due to intravascular depletion
c) Increased risk of bacterial infection, including spontaneous bacterial
d) Increased risk of arterial and venous thrombosis, including renal vein
e) Increased risk of cardiovascular disease

5) You should consult with nephrologist to confirm whether it is transient proteinuria/ orthostatic proteinuria/extra renal / due to renal cause.

6) If you have diabetes or hypertension, or both, the first goal of treatment will be to control your blood sugar or blood pressure. If you have diabetes, you should test your blood sugar often, follow a healthy eating plan, take your medicines, and get plenty of exercise.

7) If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, your doctor may prescribe a medicine from a class of drugs called ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blocker, diuretics, anticoagulants if needed, statins. These drugs have been found to protect kidney function even more than other drugs that provide the same level of blood pressure control.

8) You should go for immunoflourescence study of kidney, if required.

9) Hope this will solve your query.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava