Suffering with dry mouth and extreme burning. On medication for heart, over the counter aids, aspirin. Suggest?

I have a 85 yr old brotherXXXXXX, suffering with dry mouth. Three specilest later, no help. he has extreme burning & very dry mouth. His meds, are for heart & over the counter aids, asprin. He is getting despond.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later

Thanks for query.

There are many causes of dry mouth, also known as xerostomoa.

Drugs are a common cause of dry mouth. Some of these include:
Tricyclic antidepressants, antihistamines, antimuscarinic drugs, anti-epileptic drugs, antipsychotics, beta-blockers and diuretics.

Other causes could be:
Senile, old age
Anxiety can also cause dry mouth.
Sjögren's syndrome - check antinuclear antibody titre (ANA).

Simple measures that help are:

Frequent sips of cool drinks.
Sucking pieces of ice.
Sucking sugar-free fruit pastilles.
Eating partly frozen melon or pineapple chunks.
Sugar-free chewing gum - which stimulates salivation in patients with residual salivary function.
Petroleum jelly - which can be applied to the lips to prevent drying and cracking.

Pilocarpine may be given to improve the dryness.

I hope you might be satisfied with my answer. You are welcome to ask more queries.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD