Suffering with dengue. Blood test done. Taking flexon. What should I do?

Dear Doctor, My Mother is suffering with Dengue, She was having high fever for 2 days then the fever become normal. We did bood report twice. 2nd report shown good improvement than ealier. Her current repot is as below on 14th Sep. Bracket numbers shows the 1st report nos just 2 day old (13th Sep)
WBC - 2700 (2000)
Red Blood Cells - 3.73 (3.55)
Haemoglobin - 11.2 (10.5)
Haematocrit - 33.1 (32.5)
Platelets (Automation) - 106 (97)

Dengu repot on 14/09
Dengu - IgM Antibodies by ELISA - 83.6 PANBIO

She was not having fever since last 2 days. Today there was slight temp up to 99 F. Doctor advised Flexon while on net it is said not advisable.
No rashes or bleeding. No black stool. No other symptoms.

What should I do?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 19 minutes later

Thank for posting your query.

Though there is no harm in giving Flexon for the slight temperature of 99F, it is better to give only paracetamol. Secondly, one need not give any medication at the temperature of 99F. One can wait and give paracetamol if:
1. Temperature rises further
2. It is not coming down in another hour or two despite keeping the patient in a comfortable cool environment
3. Patient is uncomfortable with the fever and body aches

With the description provided by you, your mother should be on the road to recovery.

Hope I have cleared your doubts. Please let me know if you have more queries.

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery.

With best wishes.
Follow-up: Suffering with dengue. Blood test done. Taking flexon. What should I do? 40 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

One thing I missed to add in earlier mail is the use of Doxcef 200 (Cefpodoxime Proxetil Table). She has been advised to take it twice a day. Is this okay?

Thanks Again.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 minutes later

From the reports and situation provided by you, I am unable to make out the reason for prescribing Doxcef 200. Probably the treating doctor must have given it as a prophylactic. In Dengue fever, there is no need of an antibiotic. The treating doctor is the best person to take a decision on this count.

Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

With best wishes and wishing an early recovery to your mother.