Suffering with chronic anal leakage, butt crack seems to be distinctly brown. What can be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have suffered from anal leakage/sweating for many years, in that I will regularly have to wipe my backside (to varying degrees) throughout the day. After my recent visit I am back on fibre supplements and eating much less, the symptoms have improved. I have Noticed that my (male) butt crack is now distinctly brown in color, from top to bottom not just around the anus. I have read that different skin colors here are quite normal however "poo" brown does not seem to be mentioned, so i guess this is a consequence of years of dirty dampness. What can I do about this?

Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic. Myself Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.

After reading the query thoroughly it seems the possibility of "post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" of the area. This is a common condition where after any kind of irritation over skin, it responds by turning into dark or brown coloration. This is due to the fact that our skin contains the color giving cells known as melanocytes.

These cells are more active at certain places such as armpits and ano-genital area. Otherwise also these more active at places of friction. Now in your case there were two factors one was the continuous leakage leading mild dampness and moistness over the area and the second was continuous friction by the wipes - both leading to more activity of melanocytes and hence the dark color of the skin over the affected area. So you have to understand that it is a usual and normal phenomenon of the skin and not anything serious about it.

For the treatment part I would suggest you to do nothing over it. As anal area is a sensitive area so if we apply any depigmenting or any kind of bleaching agents it can lead to more irritation and further aggregation of the problem.

From your side simple measure of maintaining good hygiene by cleaning the area two times a day, using cotton underwear (changed two times day) and keeping yourself away from heat and humid environment will be more helpful.

Reduce your weight if you are obese or overweight as this also leads to friction and thus the color change. As you have started with fiber diet so the problem of irritation and moistness is no more to cause any further color change thus the skin can become normalized naturally by its own renewal process also. So I request you to not to worry for the anything related to this.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)

Follow-up: Suffering with chronic anal leakage, butt crack seems to be distinctly brown. What can be done? 52 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your suggestion to just leave it however while the fibre seems to be helping there is still some wetness therefore I don't think it will improve. I was considering using the following product available in the uk

Pink Daisy’s main features are:

100% Natural, Mild, Gentle and Non-Irritating
Absolutely No Kojic Acid or Hydroquinone
Guaranteed To Contain No Alcohol, Parabens, Dyes or Perfumes
No Harsh Chemicals That Burn or Dissolve The Skin
Absorbs Quickly & Dries Completely Clean
Pink Daisy- 100% Safe Natural Ingredients

I know this is clearly designed specially for the rectal area itself however from reviews it seems appropriate for the butt crack as a whole. Can here be any harm in trying it?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Welcome again to the forum,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. If you still have some dampness or leaking then I would further suggest you to do “Kegel exercise” or simply “pelvic floor exercise” which consists of repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles that form part of the pelvic floor. To explain you, simply it is done by the same act as we do in holding our urine and defecation. This can be done multiple times a day. After about 10-12 weeks of continuous maneuver you would be able to find good results.

For the part of using Pink XXXXXXX cream- I have gone through the whole series of contents in the product. All the biochemicals used in the cream appear to be quite natural and bland. Even then I would suggest you a simple method to test the safety in yourself- apply the cream over the cubital fossa (elbow pit) in a thin layer for around 8-12 hours. If the area is not showing any signs of redness or irritation then you can use the cream over affected area. Make it sure that you apply a very thin layer of cream over the dark patch (a simple rule is – pea size amount of cream is sufficient for palm size of skin). If you experience any sort of burning or irritation then stop the cream immediately.
Finally I again reassure you for the problem and request you to follow certain hygiene measures to reduce the least chances of further darkening of skin.Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)