Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering with calcium oxalate kidney stones since years, surgery done earlier, recently observed stone near VUJ. Guidance?

Urologist
Question
I've been suffering from calcium oxalate kidney stones since 1996 (4mm stone got flushed naturally).
I currently have a 5mm stone near the right VUJ (report and ultrasound pics are attached).
I would like to know if this stone can be flushed out naturally or whether I would need to undergo surgery.
I've had surgery twice earlier,once in 2007 (8 mm stone) and once in XXXXXXX 2013 (7-8mm stone). In case you think I need to undergo surgery for this 5 mm stone,please suggest the best possible hospital where I could get it done.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
I went through your detailed history.
This 5 mm stone can be passed out in the urine, with medical treatment called alpha blockers.
So it is worth the wait for about 4 weeks with the above treatment.
If not passed out and there is still hydronephrosis by ultrasound scan, then it may have to be removed and the kidney stented to allow urine flow.
Due to multiple stones in the kidneys as well, i think you need a CT scan to find out the exact number and site of stones.
Hope this helps,
best regards

Follow-up: Suffering with calcium oxalate kidney stones since years, surgery done earlier, recently observed stone near VUJ. Guidance? 21 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, this is very helpful.
Where can I get alpha blockers and how should I take them?
Do I need to XXXXXXX you in person to get this information?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
You are welcome to my clinic if you live in chennai.
Otherwise, any center or hospital that has a in house or a visiting urologist should be able to give a prescription for the same.
Best regards

Follow-up: Suffering with calcium oxalate kidney stones since years, surgery done earlier, recently observed stone near VUJ. Guidance? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. I have one last question.
Can you give me the names of some standard,well-known alpha blockers available in the market or should I take whatever my urologist prescribes?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 25 minutes later
welcome back.
As a policy we are not supposed to mention the names.
If the doctor prescribes a medicine, you can ask him if it is a alpha blocker and thereby confirm.
There are many companies manufacturing this product.
Best regards