Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from urge incontinence. Prescribed mirabegron. Have fibrillation, high BP. Is it safe to take mirabegron?

I have been recommended by continence clinic as I suffer with urge incontinence, to take 50mg of mirabegron daily but I have atrial fibrillation and high blood pressure and take warfarin,digoxin and candarstan for this-Is it safe to take this new drug? Also I suffer with a dry mouth and eyes-does this drug make this problem worse?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 47 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I absolutely agree with your concerns.

This new drug acts on beta 3 adrenergic receptors and can cause raised blood pressure and increase heart rate. It may precipitate high ventricular rate in atrial fibrillation.

It may also enhance digoxin effect and hence toxicity. The digoxin dose has to be minimum possible and needs therapeutic drug level monitoring.

Occasional dry mouth has been reported (but it occurs with many drugs). It may affect you as well.

Considering your cardiac risks, I would advise you to consult your doctor to reconsider this drug and decide on a safer drug.

If it is must to use this same, you should closely monitor BP, heart rate, digoxin levels.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!