Suffering from stomach hardness and bloating. Diagnosed as ulcer. How to resolve this problem?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
sir, i am suffering from the following since more than 15 days.
1. stomach hardness (near right hand side portion of me with little pain sometimes)
2. i cannot eat much as usual. it creates heavyness if i eat more during night.
3. stomach bloating if i eat spicy food like rice bath.
4. i take 8-10 cups of coffee since so many years.
5. no signs of sugar, BP etc even now.
6. My family physician has advised me to take KOOL-IT capsules and GERIDYS capsules (both blue and white combine coloured capsules), diagnosing as ulcer.
please clarify/guide:
1. whether i have to restrict coffee/tea/milk or fruit juice etc?
2. whether should i not take more food even if i hungry.
3. whether i have to avoid any type of vegetables in my food?
4. whether i have to undergo gastroscopy and abdominal scanning (necessary?).
5. whether by changing food habit; can i resolve this problem?

thanking you,
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If such symptoms appears, there is always a risk that the disease causing it is much more serious than peptic ulcer - stomach cancer. As this disease can have no symptoms for a long time or can cause only nonspecific symptoms (just like yours) it is extremely important to do not neglect such situation and to make sure it is not a stomach cancer. It is a very serious mistake to treat peptic ulcer without endoscopy! Of course it doesn`t have to be cancer. But peptic ulcer is also XXXXXXX and may result with life threatening perforation or bleeding. Moreover, it is necessary to make Helicobacter Pylori test during endoscopy and if this will came positive antibiotic therapy is necessary.
So according to your questions:
4. Endoscopy is a very important and should be done as soon as possible.
1. Coffee, fruit juices, fatty food, soft drinks intake should be reduced as all of them do increase acid secretion.
2. More food is not a key. It is necessary to find the reason of inability of eating.
3. Fatty food and spicy food should be avoided.
5. We do not know the problem yet, so it is hard to predict what treatment should you get.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from stomach hardness and bloating. Diagnosed as ulcer. How to resolve this problem? 11 minutes later
sir,
whether i have to undergo abdominal scanning and endoscopy(gastroscopy) on the same day or different days?

whether gastroscopy(endoscopy) has side effects/pain afterwards?

whether i have to take assistant along with me for endoscopy?

My doctor has told me it is a tube which is to be swallowed by me inside and the surgeon will scan the problems inside. Howlong it will take? whether i can go for regular work as usual? whether i can eat or drink afterwards?

thank you sir,

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Endoscopy is an examination where you will swallow a thin tube with digital camera. It is not painful, just brings little discomfort. Your throat will be deaden with spray so it will be easier to swallow it. Such examination usually lasts about 5-10 minutes and after it you can go for work as regular. The only problem is that you cannot eat a breakfast before such examination, so it can make you feel a little weak, but after a few hour of endoscopy you can eat and drink as usual, so a day off work might be reasonable. You do not need any assistance.
If it is a risk of side effects every examination has some risk however such risk is low (bleeding or perforation after endoscopy happens very rare). You can feel little sore throat and abdominal pain after this exam.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from stomach hardness and bloating. Diagnosed as ulcer. How to resolve this problem? 6 minutes later
sir,
you have told "If it is a risk of side effects every examination has some risk however such risk is low (bleeding or perforation after endoscopy happens very rare). You can feel little sore throat and abdominal pain after this exam. XXXXXXX

if bleeding happens, how it will be stopped, naturally or medically? whether it gives other effects?

Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Well, if bleeding will appear, there is several ways to stop it which is electrocoagulation, local adrenaline injection and clips. In serious bleeding cases surgery might be required.

Hope this will help.
Regards.