Suffering from stomach ache, heavy bleeding and burping. Am I dealing with hyperacidity?

Hi I still have my period now. A couple of days ago I have heavy bleeding and my stomach was painful.The heavy bleeding came after I took tylenol. A day after the pain came back and I took Ibuprofen. The pain was gone after an hour. Today I feel pain again but I'm not sure if its hyperacidity ths time as evertime I burp i can taste the acid in my mouth. And I noticedi still bleed when its already my 5th day. Am i dealing with hyperacidity or something else? I have history of hyperacidity as well.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 3 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

You may be having acidity along with heavy periods.

First of all heavy periods need to be evaluated. Stomach cramps which you say can occur when you have heavy bleeding due to pelvic congestion.

You need to consult a gynecologist for XXXXXXX examination and evaluation by certain tests. This is because any heavy bleeding at your age should not be ignored.
You may also require an ultrasound depending on your examination findings.
If you have not got a PAP smear test in the past one year then you need to have one.

Coming to your problem of acidity, it is not much related to your periods provided you do not have any lump(swelling) causing raised abdominal pressure.

First of all identifying and avoiding the causative factors are essential in the treatment of acidity.
Avoiding spicy, salty and acidic foods is essential.
Smoking and alcohol consumption must be stopped.
If you have nervous and emotional disposition and into high stress jobs you must take lifestyle modifying measures.
Antacids provide immediate relief of symptoms by neutralising the excess acid secreted. A group of drugs called H2 Receptor Blockers cause the stomach to produce less acid by blocking histamine receptors.
Another group of drugs called the Proton Pump Inhibitors, which selectively disable a mechanism in acid-making cells thus stopping acid production are more powerful and include Omeprazole and Lansoprazole.

Drugs like NSAIDs which you took tynelol, brufen increase acidity so you should avoiding taking these.
Avoiding non vegetarian diets is also useful in minimising symptoms of acidity.
Tomatoes, citrus fruits like orange, pineapple, excess caffeine (tea, coffee) and fatty foods need to be avoided when you are having acidity.

I hope I have answered your query.

Kindly revert back if you have any doubts remaining.