Suffering from short term memory loss problem. Advise some medical treatment

I am 31 and presently working in a reputed bank based out of Mumbai.I am going through a short term memory loss problem.I forget things very fast. Most importantly I have been facing this problem since my college days.Mostly I forget very quickly the names of people and other informations. As per my personal assesement ,my lack of concentration is one of the sole reason behind this. But now it is a high time I need to address this issue very seriously. This problem has badly affecting my self confidence and also professional progress.Another important concern of mine is I cannot stress my brain ie whenever any difficulty I face in remembering something,I give up very easily. I cannot hold my concentration for long.I wish to pursue a online course for professional advancement. But not able to imbibe enough confidence in myself to go ahead because of this problem.Now I request your advice in the following
1. Kindly advise what kind of medical treatment I can undergo for curing this
2. If possible, advise me any good local doctor( in Mumbai) whom I can personally visit and discuss in detail about this issue
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

These kind of problems can be caused by : chronic stress, any ongoing / suppressed stress, over-work, marital difficulties etc.; alcohol consumption, generalized anxiety disorder, head injury in past, etc.

The treatment depends on the cause; it can be combination of medicine plus counselling / psychotherapy. You are right you should consult a professional to help you come out of this situation. You will surely get the best benefit slowly when you XXXXXXX an expert.

Prof Subhangini XXXXXXX professor of psychiatry at KEM Hospital, Mumbai can be consulted

Please let me know if I can be of some more help

Wish you good luck