Suffering from severe cold and cough frequently, despite avoiding cold items. No medication has helped. Why?

I frequently suffer from severe cold and cough. Although I dont regularly take cool stuffs or friuts, atleast a month I will suffer for a week. I take various medicines but its not effective.Please suggest a solution.
Height- 5.8
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

After having gone through your history, I would like to know the following details, as it will help me for suggesting better.

1. Since how many years are you suffering from this complaint of recurrent cold and cough?

2. Do you have other complaints like chest pain, fever or breathlessness?

3. Are your symptoms associated with seasonal changes in the environment?

4. Do you have any pets at home?

5. Did you ever had an attack of breathlessness, cough or any wheezing episode (whistling sound during breathing)?

6. Do you have complaints of burning pain in abdomen / water brashes in the morning?

7. Are you allergic to dust / eggs /perfumes or any other thing?

8. Have you ever smoked?

9. Please mention the medicines that you have been taking for your symptoms.

10. Does anyone in your family have similar symptoms?

11. What do you do currently? Is there any work place exposure of dust?

12. Recently were you exposed to any sort of dust eg. in cleaning your room?

13. Did you ever get your chest Xray / sputum / blood examination done? if yes what were the reports?

14. Did you ever visit a Pulmonologist? Did you ever had your pulmonary function tests done?

Please do let me the above details so that I can advise you in broad sense.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Suffering from severe cold and cough frequently, despite avoiding cold items. No medication has helped. Why? 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
I have this problem from my child hood days.
I dont jave any symptoms of chest pain,etc.
I dont have any pets and my work culture is free from dust.
Im not allergic to dust and dont smoke.
None of my family members have this problem,except me.
I have met several specialist, but all say its common cold and they prescribe tablet. But im frequently getting affected by it.
I was born and brought up in a hill station so cold was a common thing but now I live in Chennai which is different from a hill station .
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
From your history it seems to be a case of recurrent allergic rhinitis with post nasal drip induced acute bronchitis. This condition is also known as allergic rhinobronchitis.

At present, I recommend the following :

1. You would need to get the follow investigations done : Chest Xray PA view , Peripheral smear (with particular reference to eosinophil count) , Serum IgE levels.

2. You may take the following treatment in consultation with your physician:

- 7 day course of antibiotics like penicillins like amoxicillin (for secondary infection)

- Nasal spray of topical anti histaminic & steroid like combinations of azelastin and fluticasone

- Oral tablet of plain antihistaminic to be taken at bed time.

- A 2 week course of inhaler (bronchodilator + steroid) which will help reduce the airway inflammation which is responsible for causing cough

- Antacid tablet.
These are prescription drugs which you can obtain after consulting your treating physician

3. Warm water + common salt gargles.

4. With these your symptoms will be relieved. However you need to take precautions for recurrence -
avoid dust exposure / extreme changes in environment / avoid cold food/ cold drinks/ oily spicy food, etc.

5. You should also consider yearly influenza and five yearly pneumococcal vaccination for the prevention of these recurrent infections.

6. Also visit and get examined by an ENT specialist to exclude local causes like deviated nasal septum, polyps, etc.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.