Suffering from neck pain starting from back of ear to neck. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
From past few days I am suffering from neck pain. It starts from back of my ear to neck. Might be due to more work and sitting infront of system for more than 8 hours. You suggest me some exercise and any cream to apply for the neck pain. Please suggest me.

XXXXX
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of cervical spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Your problem is suggestive of cervical spasm due to prolonged sitting.
Neck isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.

EXERCISES:-
Neck Glides: Keeping your chin parallel to the ground. Slide your head backwards and hold for 3 seconds. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.

Shrugs: Stand with your arms by your side. Lift your shoulders up to your ears and hold for 1 second. Then pull your shoulders back pinching your shoulder blades together. Hold for 1 second. Relax your shoulders and repeat 20 times.

Side Neck Bends: Pull your head towards your shoulder until your feel your neck muscles stretch. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat on the other side and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat 5 times on each side.

You can apply Diclofenac gel.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suffering from neck pain starting from back of ear to neck. Suggest? 6 hours later

Thanks for the exercise you recommended for me, but few of the terms I was unable to understand. It will be very helpful if provide me some pictures of the exercise.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know the terms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query again.
Please let me know the terms that you are unable to understand.
I will give my best to make you understand.

Follow-up: Suffering from neck pain starting from back of ear to neck. Suggest? 7 minutes later
1. Keeping your chin parallel to the ground. Slide your head backwards.

2. Stand with your arms by your side.

And I also request you to recommond some exercise for back pain, I will get rare but I need it.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some tips from my side.

Detailed Answer:
1) Stand straight with your head straight looking straight forward, Your back of head should touch the wall, look downwards while touching the wall then back again.

2) Stand in attention position.

It is best to start with mild aerobic exercises and swimming. Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. Aerobic exercises for back are walking, jogging, cycling, and swimming. These exercises condition the heart and other muscles, maintain health and speed recovery.
You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor.

You may do 'back strengthening exercises' also. Unfortunately those are difficult to explain in words and beyond the scope of this answer. But that you can learn from your physiotherapist or from images on internet.

Follow-up: Suffering from neck pain starting from back of ear to neck. Suggest? 17 hours later
Thanks a lot

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nice to hear from you.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.
I am pleased that I could address your concern.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.