Suffering from nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain Found gall bladder stones. Should go for surgery?

Hi, My wife has gall bladder stones of 6-7 mm detected with the recently done ultrasonography. The symptoms she has in the past few months have been nauseating, vomitting, uneasiness and a very little abdominal pain on the upper right. Is it necessary to go for surgery to remove gall bladder or can she continue till the pain aggrevates?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your concern.

Normally for treatment of gall stones, surgery is the treatment.

The requirement depends upon her problem.

In case she has:

>Recurrent abdominal pain in that area
>Vomiting on regular basis

Then she needs surgery soon.

Even at times asymptomatic patients are also advised surgery.

This is because, these gall stones can slip and block the gall bladder duct and lead to obstruction in the system. This is a surgical emergency.

Please get in touch with a Gastro surgeon in your city and take his advice.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: Suffering from nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain Found gall bladder stones. Should go for surgery? 19 minutes later
Just one more question - is it possible to remove only the stones or necessary to remove the gall bladder itself? As removing the gall bladder could lead to complications of Liver in the future as I understand.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

No,sorry dear this in not the option.

Is is not possible to remove only stones,whole gall bladder has to be removed.

Do not worry,there will not be any problem of any kind in future.