Suffering from minimal bowel movement and numb feet. Looking for cure

I have constipation related to my Parkinson's. but after 3 days of laxatives that normally work I have had minimal bowel movement and now both feet are numb
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question.

Constipation is indeed a fairly common in people with Parkinson's disease. It can be either due to the disease effects itself or more commonly, due to the side effects of the anti-Parkinsonian medication.

You have mentioned that you still feel constipated despite taking laxatives and have developed a numbness in your feel. Now, this numbness is very unlikely to be related to the constipation or the laxatives. It is indicative of a 'neuropathy' which could be due to a complication of the Parkinson's disease or some other nerve-related problem. So, I suggest that you report this to your doctor and have a thorough neurological examination done to ascertain the cause.

As for for constipation, you can try bulk-forming laxatives like psyllium husk, fybogel, etc. Drink two to four extra glasses of water a day. Try warm liquids, especially in the morning. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Eat prunes and/or XXXXXXX cereal.

Wish you good health.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar