Suffering from lower back stiffness and neck pain. RA factor is negative. What could it be?

Spine Surgeon
Question
i am suffering from lower back stiffness and neck pain since 7 months stiffness comes and goes with my activities, some amount of stiffness is in the morning my ra factor is negative but esr is 32 what problem do you think i would have
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more investigations

Detailed Answer:
Morning stiffness in the back may be due to either inflammatory spondylitis or disc degeneration due to our activities. RA factor comes negative most of the patients. I would suggest to consult an orthopaedic doctor get a thorough exam. It may be due to sacroiliac joint inflammation. Please get the MRI spine and SI joint which will definitely indicate the reason for the stiffness. Also get HLA B 27 blood test and CRP level. ESR 32 may not be of that significance if other parameters are negative. Thanks.

Follow-up: Suffering from lower back stiffness and neck pain. RA factor is negative. What could it be? 3 minutes later
sorry i forgot to mention about crp earlier. I had undergone crp as well which was also negative, spine xrays have been done they are also normal. Now what do you suggest

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
consider doing MRI lumbar spine with SI joint

Detailed Answer:
Either it is disc related problem or sacroiliac joint inflammation. Please get the MRI of the spine with SI joint. Thanks.