Suffering from liver disease. Taking Pantocid, Udiliv and Duphalac Oral solution. Advice diet?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am 35 yrs male, suffering from Liver disease, the liver tests done 10 days back had below levels on higher side : total bilirubin - 1.43, Indirect bilirubin - 1.01, AST/SGOT - 54, ALT/SGPT - 115, GGT - 191 & ALP -153.
I have been taking Pantocid 40, Udiliv 300 and Duphalac Oral solution for past 10 days and taking bed rest, I did another test 2 days back and below are the results for above tests now:
Total bilirubin - 1.30, Indirect bilirubin - 0.91, AST/SGOT - 27, ALT/SGPT - 96, GGT - 211, ALP - 167.
The GGT & ALP levels have increased even after medication for a week, could you please advice on diet I should follow to decrease these levels.
Thanks,
XXXXX
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information to give a better opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.
Not only your GGT, but your ALT level is also significantly raised.

I would like to have some more information so that I can give a better opinion.

What symptoms you have and why was this test done?
Do you consume alcohol?
Was ultrasound scan of the abdomen done and if yes, what is the report?

Kindly get back to me with these information and I will give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from liver disease. Taking Pantocid, Udiliv and Duphalac Oral solution. Advice diet? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor,

In first week of Oct. I had severe burning sense in chest for 2 days followed by lower back pain for 2 days, after which there was weakness and pain in hands ands limbs occasionally.
I do consume alcohol, but that's very rare maybe once in 3/6 months...
Ultrasound of abdomen & pelvis, my kidneys & liver is normal as per report.
Did Barium of stomach and MRI of lower back reports of which are normal.
And HCV, Hepatitis B surface Antigen, Hepatitis A - IgM, which are all normal / negative.

Kindly advice.
Follow-up: Suffering from liver disease. Taking Pantocid, Udiliv and Duphalac Oral solution. Advice diet? 22 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Awaiting for your response..

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for providing the additional information and apologies for the late reply.

The cause for abnormal liver function is not yet found in your case. You will need further work up.

The common causes like fatty liver disease, hepatitis A, B and C are negative in your case.
So further work up is necessary. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would include test for autoimmune and metabolic causes.

As far as the diet is concerned, eat less of fatty , salty and sugary food.
Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
Eat whole-grain cereals and breads.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Thanks Doctor,

I have been advised complete rest to bring down current level of GGT, ALT & ALP with medicines I mentioned above.

Could you please clarify more on "The cause for abnormal liver function is not yet found in your case. You will need further work up", do I need to do more tests as you mentioned above, also I didn't get "further work up", do you mean more tests ?

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

ALT, GGT, ALP are tests to assess the liver function. The test reports clearly reveal raised levels which indicates your liver is affected. Few tests like HBsAg, Anti HCV have been done to see whether these are causing the abnormal liver function. But the test reports say they are negative. Therefore if I were to be your treating doctor, I would definitely order more tests to isolate the cause for abnormal functioning.

Resting and diet changes as advised would eventually lower the enzyme levels if all other causes are excluded. That's why I have said, further tests are to be done to know the cause.

You can discuss with your doctor about doing the other tests I have mentioned.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini