Suffering from hypothyroid, severe eczema. History of depression. Which specialist should I consult?

I have chronic, severe eczema that became much worse in menopause. Also, I'm hypothyroid. Long history of depression. recently stopped welbutrin. it was creating harmful sideeffects. Light treatments, corticosteroids weren't helping. It's been 1.5 years of out of control eczema with a new development 3 months ago, a burning sensation on my back or chest, depending. Red rashes without pustules for the most part, on my face, neck, arms. I'm very careful about allergens, on gluten-free diet. Use aquaphor constantly. exercise is limited to swimming in salt water(not often). Have a high stress life. rashes can come anywhere, swiftly, now I have violent reactions to many things. a skin biopsy was positive only for atopic dermatitis. I work in a corporate environment with central air/heat. eczema worse when winter heat goes on.
I don't know whether I should be consulting a dermatologist, an allergist, an endocrinologist, or some other specialty.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 1 hour later
thanks for posting your query. I went through your history. It reveals that you have been suffering from atopic dermatitis basically. atopic dermatitis usually becomes chronic and recurrent. you must basically consult a dermatologist. It seems that you had undergone light treatment already but of no use. we have powerful oral immuno-suppresents like cyclosporin A, which is a powerful tool to keep the disease under control. your dermatologist must be explaining this to you. I hope that you will benefit by a derm consult.
I hope you will recover soon
Prasad PVS
Follow-up: Suffering from hypothyroid, severe eczema. History of depression. Which specialist should I consult? 10 hours later
I am hoping to deal with the underlying cause rather than take an immunosuppressant. Is there any realistic alternative to the immunosuppressant? Any more natural way to deal with this?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 11 hours later
Atopic dermatitis is an inherent tendency of the body to react to any external stimuli in an abnormal way.
I understand your apprehension
The following are useful in my patiens
1. Avoidance of milk, milk products, cheese, fish, seafood, egg
2. Avoiding synthetic cloathes
3. Practicing yoga and meditation
Pl try. You will find it useful
Good day
Prasad pvs