Suffering from heavy cold. Should I take antibiotic? Woried for bronchitis

Cardiac Surgeon
I have a heavy cold and am worried that ,as in the past three years, it may develop into bronchitis which goes on for months, my question is should I go on an antibiotic now even though I know that antibiotics don't help with colds caused by viruses? Will it help ward off what causes Bronchitis?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 35 minutes later
If you already have the disorder of bronchitis earlier or if you had suffered earlier then there is a possibility of getting bronchitis now.
There is a component of allergy in case of bronchitis. Take some antihistaminic and decongestants. Antibiotics may not be necessary for cold. If you get breathlessness and severe cough then consider taking antibiotics.
Follow-up: Suffering from heavy cold. Should I take antibiotic? Woried for bronchitis 5 minutes later
Do I have to go to a local GP to get a script for antibiotics or can you arrange that for me
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 3 minutes later
I suggest you to consult a GP. He will analyse completely looking at any allergy towards antibiotics and other things.