Suffering from gout arthritis. High ESR count. What are the ways to control it?

my mother has a very high ESR count.she is suffering from gout there any way to control it??is there any cause to worry for such a high ESR??
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is a non specific marker for acute inflammation. In other words it is increased in many diseases like Gouty arthritis, Rheumatic fever, Tuberculosis, Malignancy, Sarcoidosis, etc.

ESR will go back to near normal levels once the treatment is initiated and the patient starts responding to it. So do not worry about ESR values; as high ESR by itself does not cause harm.

Please look out for
1. Fever
2. Loss of weight
3. Worsening of joint pains

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer. I will be glad to address any other concerns you might have.

I wish your mother a speedy recovery.