Suffering from fibromyalgia, insomnia, IBS, bloated stomach, hemorrhoids. Taking fibogel

i have Fibromyalgia and am suffering at the moment particually with imsomnia and ibs, my stomach is constantly bloated and i think i am probably constipated although I do pass small (nut size) motions. I take fybogel every day, my GP gave my peppermint tablets which have no effect whatsoever, I also have quite bad Hemorrhoids and currently am excreting a gel like substance when I pass wind, this is making 'hold it in' and therefore causing more stomach pains. Can you recommend anything else I can try?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

For IBS lifestyle changes can help in some cases. For example, regular exercise and improved sleep habits may reduce anxiety and help relieve bowel symptoms.

Dietary changes can be helpful. However, no specific diet can be recommended for IBS, because the condition differs from one person to another.

Avoid foods and drinks that stimulate the intestines (such as caffeine, tea, or colas), avoid large meals, increase fiber in the diet (this may improve constipation but make bloating worse).

The best tips to relieve bloated stomach symptoms would start with diet. Eat plenty of raw whole foods, especially those known to contain digestive enzymes such as papaya, avocado and pineapple.

Reduce the amount of red meats being consumed since protein is extremely difficult to fully digest and will often result in bloating.

Eat as many whole grain foods as possible and drink at least six to eight glasses of water to flush foods through your system.

Never lay down after a large meal as foods tend to sit there longer. A nice walk around the block after dinner helps to move foods along while reducing bloating and sluggishness.

I advice you to follow this conservative approach for a week, if symptoms do persists i advice you for some investigation like stool routine and culture & sensitivity and consult the physician for examination.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Suffering from fibromyalgia, insomnia, IBS, bloated stomach, hemorrhoids. Taking fibogel 2 hours later
Yes i do follow a very strict diet, and all the advice you have given is common knowlegde to fibromyalia sufferers, my question really asking if there is any medication whether prescription or over the counter that you would recommend worth a try for more instant relief for the stomach discomfort
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 7 hours later
Good to hear from you.

You can try ENO for rapid relief it is the fast-acting effervescent fruit salts, used as an antacid and reliever of bloatedness.

You can discuss with your consulting physician about alpha-D-galactosidase, an enzyme that is produced by a mold. This enzyme is able to break down some of the difficult-to-digest polysaccharides in vegetables so that they may be absorbed. This prevents them from reaching the colonic bacteria and causing unnecessary production of gas.

Two other types of treatment have been promoted for the treatment of gas; simethicone and activated charcoal but effectiveness is unclear.

Hope i have cleared your queries.
Wish you good health.