Suffering from fever and joint pains. Dengue and chickenguinya test negative. Can smoking be the cause?

hello... My father is suffering from fever and joints pains since last 4 days..Our doctor recommended us for dengue and chikenguniya test..All the reports are Negative but still he is suffering from joint pains and yesterday blood report showing his SGPT Level 82 U/L..Kindly suggest me if any thing wrong with liver as he is a chain smoker..Thanks
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Complete liver enzymes are required Detailed Answer: Hi, This is a season for Viral Flu. If the Dengue and Chickenguinya were ruled out, there are other unknown viruses that can cause similar symptoms. Unfortunately medical science cannot derive the causative germ in most infections. I presume your father is suffering from viral flu and it would take a longer time for him to recover than an average person of his age would. Smokers would take a longer time to recover. SGPT level alone would be difficult to determine if there is liver damage. We need to know the complete profile. The Ultrasound scan and other liver enzymes. Smoking has a negative affect on liver as well. So it is better if you can come up with all other reports as well. Sometimes the medicines that he would be taking like Paracetmol etc for the fever and joint pains will increase the liver enzymes to the said level. So let him recover first from the symptoms and do a repeat liver enzyme study and Ultrasound.