Suffering from fever and body pain. Not cured by dolo 500 and antibiotic. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My wife is suffering from fever and body since last 3 days...she is taking dolo 500 and some antibiotic but she is not recovering...
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Fever associated with generalized body aches is seen commonly in case of viral fever. Antibiotics do not help much in providing relief.
The following things should make her feel better:
a. Take tablet paracetamol 400 mg as and when required ( upto 4 times daily). This needs to be taken with food. This will relieve the chilly feeling and fatigue.
b. Take a hot water shower and drink plenty of warm fluids.
c. Eat small, home cooked meals at regular intervals. Also, drink atleast 2-3 litres of lukewarm water in a day. This should help take care of the shakiness.
d. Simply rest for 1-2 days and she should be good.
Along with this, it is best to get her basic blood investigations done to rule out typhoid fever or malaria under the guidance of your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from fever and body pain. Not cured by dolo 500 and antibiotic. What to do? 33 hours later
Thank you for your suggestions doctor. I have got her blood test.
Typhoid is negative, TLC is 2100(which is well below 4000), blood platlets are 0000 which is also below 0000.

Our physician has suggested to take the following medicines

meftal forte

what do you suggest?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your wife's platelet counts are decreased which is commonly seen in a viral infection. She can take the medicines as advised to her by the physician. Repeat blood tests are needed after 72 hours to check the trend. You also need to get Dengu fever ruled out. It will be better to get dengue antibody serology test done to rule out dengue completely.
Also look out for the symptoms of dengue. The principal symptoms of dengue are high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea, vomiting, eye pain, and rash.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Suffering from fever and body pain. Not cured by dolo 500 and antibiotic. What to do? 15 minutes later
Thanks for your response.
It seems like fever is not there since morning. I have few questions mentioned below:-
1)As the fever is not there so should I still continue giving her all the medicines recommended by the physician or should I give only when needed?
2)right now I am giving her fresh orange juice, coconut water and tomato soup. what other things can I give her to eat?

3)How to increase the platelet counts?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Yes you must continue with the medicines prescribed to her even if the fever has subsided.
You can give her a soft and easy to digest food like dal rice, banana, fruit pulps, etc. Avoid fried and spicy food.
The platelet counts will increase once the fever subsides. Taking plenty of fluids orally will be helpful.