Suffering from facial pain. X-ray showed circular blob in upper side of face. Could this be fat?

Dec 2012

I have been experiencing right sided facial pain for a while and i went to a doctor to get an xray to see if there were any broken bones. The xray shows no broken bones but there is this weird circular blob thing in the upper side of my face that i am wondering about. This is where my pain originates and i was wondering what this would be in an xray since i didn't get to ask my doctor at the time i was just happy there was nothing broken. Could this be fat or maybe just a mistake in the xray?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely be suffering from trigeminal neuralgia Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am very glad to be able to assist you with your condition. Based, on your description, the problem seems to be originating from a nerve injury. I suspect that you might be suffering from trigeminal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is a nerve disorder that causes a stabbing or electric-shock-like pain in parts of the face. The pain of trigeminal neuralgia comes from the trigeminal nerve. This nerve carries the feelings of touch and pain from the face, eyes, sinuses, and mouth to the brain. Trigeminal neuralgia may be caused by: - Multiple sclerosis - Compressive mass on that side of face - Idiopathic or unknown cause. But causes can be determined in people younger than 40 years. As for the the x-ray, there is a right-sided opacity that looks like an abnormal mass or gland. It is actually unspecific and maybe pathologic. I will recommend you do an MRI and trigeminal reflex testing. Your doctor may also wish to investigate further on other possible causes of facial pain such as myofascial pain syndrome etc. X-ray might not show any good information. Your doctor will have to confirm or rule out my suspicion before effective treatment can be given. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah