Suffering from extreme dizziness and head is falling. MRI and Agiogram normal. Asked to consult ENT. Suggest?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
My wife is suffering from extreme dizziness for the last 15 days. She is not able to stand properly for a few minutes as her head is falling off on all sides. We have consulted a Neuro Physician in Apollo Hospital Hyderabad and as per his direction took a MRI & MR Angiogram of the brain. The report is clear. The doc said there is nothing wrong in the brain and asked me to consult a ENT Vertigo Specialist. I want my wife to be cured asap and request your help.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
I need more information

Detailed Answer:
Your wife is suffering from dizziness x 15 days.
No neurological problem detected.
These all finding suggestive of ENT related disease. For near conclusion, I need answers of some questions-->

When your wife feels “dizzy” does she experience -Headache, Nausea or vomiting?
When did the dizziness first occur?
Is her dizziness constant?
How long does the attack last?
Has she any history of hearing loss?
Has she any history of ear discharge?
Has she any history of increased raised blood sugar?
Has she any history of fever within one month?

Please give me the answer of these questions, so that I could help you better.

Follow-up: Suffering from extreme dizziness and head is falling. MRI and Agiogram normal. Asked to consult ENT. Suggest? 58 minutes later
Hello Doc,

Please see the answers to your questions below:

1) When your wife feels “dizzy” does she experience -Headache, Nausea or vomiting?

Ans: She has headaches in a few occasions, Nausea is there in very rare cases and no vomiting. She actually has been diagnosed with Hiatus Hernia by the Gastroenterologist so she is taking her medicines for that.

2) When did the dizziness first occur?

Ans: The dizziness first occurred a year and a half back, she went to XXXXXXX a ENT doctor and was prescribed a medicine for vertigo, which she took, and felt better. The dizziness again started some time after she stopped taking the medicine but she ignored it and did not revisit any physician. This time it started very severely 15 days back and it is there for 24 hours. The neurologist gave a medicine Vertin 16 mg, she took it, however, the severity of the thing went down, however, its constantly there for 24 hours. We went to a ENT doctor yesterday in Apollo, he referred us to the vertigo clinic in Apollo, there is only 1 doctor who does all the vertigo related tests and we have got the earliest appointment of October 12, 2013, which is too far off.

3) Is her dizziness constant?

Ans: Its there for 24 hours, the severity is less if she takes the vertigo medicine.

4) How long does the attack last?

Ans: If medicine is taken it is most severe in the morning when she wakes up, also severe in the evening when she wakes up.

5) Has she any history of hearing loss?

Ans: No.

6) Has she any history of ear discharge?

Ans: No

7) Has she any history of increased raised blood sugar?

Ans: Blood sugar was tested on August 14, 2013, it was normal.

8) Has she any history of fever within one month?

Ans: She has minor fever very rarely.

Please help me doctor and if she requires some Vertigo tests, please suggest us some place to go in Hyderabad apart from Apollo.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further tests required

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for follow up

According to your information, your wife may be suffering from either BPPV or vestibular neuronitis.

To reach the near diagnosis the following tests are needed -->
Pure tone audiometry
Impedance audiometry
Eye movement testing
Posturography testing
Rotatory chair testing
ENG
In Hyderabad you may consult the
Dr. Vinnakota Sriprakash MS ENT
Specialist ENT Head & Neck Micro Surgeon
WWW.WWWW.WW
If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from extreme dizziness and head is falling. MRI and Agiogram normal. Asked to consult ENT. Suggest? 35 minutes later
Hello Doc,

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

Last question, are the tests you mentioned above related to Vertigo or are you suspecting something else?

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Related to vertigo

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up

All these tests are related with vertigo - to help us arrive at the close diagnosis / causative factor.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Suffering from extreme dizziness and head is falling. MRI and Agiogram normal. Asked to consult ENT. Suggest? 29 minutes later
Sorry doc, I guess I have one more question. I was told by the ENT doctor I consulted that my wife should not be taking Vertigo medicines if the tests are to be done in proper fashion. Is that right? If not, can we continue to give her the vertigo medicine?

Also, she is feeling extremely weak, is it also caused by Vertigo? Till the time we see the doctor you referred can we give her anything that will reduce the weakness?

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discontinue the medicine for vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for follow up.
Yes, it is necessary to discontinue the medicine for vertigo for the tests are done in proper fashion.
If she is feeling extremely weak, then she may take the RX plus capsule once a day as I advised for our patient.

Wish you good health for your family