Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Can I go for testosterone replacement therapy?

Psychiatrist
Question
i am looking for testosterone replacement therapy. i gave experienced a steady decline in libido and my erections are not too great. plus i dont have the same drive and zest for life,.

i would like to get my blood work done as i think my testos is low
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 55 minutes later

I can understand your concern related to sexual functioning as low libido is very distressing condition.

Testosterone replacement therapy is helpful only when there is low level of testosterone in body. Low testosterone is not common at 34 years of age. You need to evaluated for cause for low libido in your case.

Sexual dysfunctions can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include stress, anxiety, depression, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances (including: testosterone, thyroid, prolactine and estrogen), diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

You also reported some depressive symptoms (i dont have the same drive and zest for life) which is one of the common cause of low libido in young population. In cases of depression, its treatment lead to improvement in libido.

Following blood work will help to rule out physical causes:
-Fasting blood sugar
-Complete blood count
-Lipid profile
-Hormone test: serum total testosterone, T3/T4/TSH (for thyroid) and prolactine level

All these test can be done from single empty stomach blood sample from nearby good lab like LAL PATH LAB.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Can I go for testosterone replacement therapy? 13 days later
i am having a very hard time finding a qualified sexologist in kolkata.

i live near XXXXXXX. i will be grateful if you can refer me to a qualified sexologist near me so i can get my blood work done and find out what the problem is.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

In allopathy there is no such degree like sexologist. It is more depend on cause of sexual dysfunction.

As most common reasons for sexual problems in young population are psychological, so psychiatrist can best person to treat your problem. You can XXXXXXX Dr Arindam Mondal in Kolkata. His details are available on following web link:

WWW.WWWW.WW
Apart from that Endocrinologist (for hormonal imbalance), Urosurgeon (for structural defect), Dermatologist (for skin problems in genital area and sexually transmitted disease) and Gynaecologist (for infertility related issues) also treat these patients and appropriate referral should taken in presence of such problems. But patient should avoid non medical persons (quacks) for treatment.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Can I go for testosterone replacement therapy? 8 minutes later
pls give me details of a Endocrinologist

i will then close the topic

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
Hello again,

You can visit any government hospital with superspeciality facility.

or

you can visit fortis hospital: link is

WWW.WWWW.WW

Wish you good health.
Regards.