Suffering from diarrhea, bloating, nausea and loss of appetite. Should I be concerned for appendicitis?

Jan 2013

I am having some symptoms that are more confusing than anything. I don't want to run to the ER or the urgent care clinic if these symptoms are harmless. I am 32 years old and I'm good health. I'm having diarrhea, but not so much like viral. Since Monday of this week, I have had very little appetite. I have been forcing fluids so I don't get dehydrated. With the loss of appetite, I have been nauseus and had a lot of gas (passing gas). The nausea went away for awhile and I actually felt hungry for the first time in 5 days. I decided to play it safe and eat a piece of toast and a banana. I ate about 1/3 of the the toast and the nausea returned and this time I did vomit. Within about 30 minutes, I felt so bloated and I have a dull pain or pressure actually in my lower right abdomen and it also hurts on my lower back at the same level. It's not an excruciating stabbing pain but it is enough to be extremely uncomfortable. Should I be concerned about appendicitis? I don't feel sick as I would if I had a stomach bug. I am in ultrasound school and I can definitely rule out a cyst on my ovary. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 33 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with diarrhea.
Do you have fever/ spasmodic abdominal pain?
Do you have frequent urge for using washroom but not getting anything?
Do you have any menstrual abnormality?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of acute gastroenteritis.
Presence of diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting and abdominal pain suggests the diagnosis.
Gastroenteritis may be viral or bacterial and may have some sort of effect on liver with loss of appetite.
Possibility of appendicitis appears to be low as appendicitis is associated with specific pain in right lower quadrant along with fever and vomiting.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ general surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram, stool routine microscopic examination, and ultrasound imaging (to rule out possibility of appendicitis).

If ultrasound imaging is found to be normal, then you should take complete antibiotic course, probiotics, and antispasmodics.
You should maintain your hydration with oral rehydration solution, potassium XXXXXXX liquids such juices and take banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products such as butter, cheese.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhea, bloating, nausea and loss of appetite. Should I be concerned for appendicitis? 23 minutes later
Thank you for answering so quickly. I do not have a menstrual abnormality. My cycle is 33 days and is consistent. Also, my next period is not due until 27 February. The diarrhea is not frequent maybe once or twice per day some days. I have not had any diarrhea in the last 48 hours. Tonight, I feel like I need to use the restroom but nothing happens. The pressure is extremely uncomfortable. I am not experiencing any nausea at the moment but I continue to have a lot of pressure in the lower right abdomen and back that is not allevated by changing position. I felt a little feverish this afternoon while in scan lab but honestly did not have time to check it or take any medication for it. I took an ibuprofen after class at around 5 pm. I don't have a fever at the moment, but I took a tylenol for a headache at around 11 pm. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 26 minutes later
You should go for ultrasound imaging to rule out appendicitis.
Possibility of acute bacterial gastroenteritis appears to be high.
You should also take above prescribed medications on written prescription.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhea, bloating, nausea and loss of appetite. Should I be concerned for appendicitis? 34 hours later
Hi, you were right on the money with the diagnosis. I went to see my dr yesterday and it is acute bacterial gastointeritis. Also with my history of constipation and unexplained diarrhea in the past he diagnosed me with IBS. I'm now taking Flagyl, Reglan and miralax. Miralax is only when I have the constipation. Thank you again so much.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
Take complete course of therapy.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava