Suffering from diarrhea and stomach pain. Taking anti parasite medication. Looking for solution

Hi Doc, I'm concerned about my dad he is 37 years old now. Has a history of rheumetic fever. No diabettis or cholestrol. He had taken anti parasite medication ever since that approximately 15 days he has been suffering from diarrhea and stomach pain. It doesn't seem normal to me. Can you give us a solution to this issue. Thank you regards.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.Diarrhoea is an increase in stool frequency up to 3 or more times a day as well as change in the consistency of the stool from solid to liquid.
In most adults a course of diarrhoea lasts up to 3 to 5 days.

Prolonged diarrhoea is defined as diarrhoea lasting up to and beyond 14 days, if it passes 4 weeks it is called chronic diarrhoea.
Parasites are a common cause of prolonged diarrhoea and there are different parasitic causes of diarrhoea each requiring different medication.Normally with the use of the correct medication there should be a slow decrease in the frequency of stool and improvement in the consistency.

Since your father has been using the medication and still having no improvement at all in his symptoms then it may be best to recheck the stool to ensure that there are no other organisms causing the symptoms that may need to be addressed.
In addition , he may not be responding the particular medication that he has been given and may need an alternative treatment.

It may be best ,in light of this, for him to revisit his doctor , if possible , for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions