Suffering from depression. Taking arpizol, oxetol, escipra. Medicine not effective. Any advice?

Psychiatrist
Question
My sister is taking arpizol 10 mg ,oxetol 300,escipra for depression.Though she is taking this medicine,she is not getting cured.She is always sad and not engaged in any activities.Thinking about only past things and worrying for something
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 33 minutes later
Helli
Thanks for your query. Aripzol is aripiprazole an anti psychotic oxeptal is oxcarbazepine a mood stabiliser and escipra is escitalopram an antidepressant. I guess your sister has either psychosis or bipolar disorder coupled with depression. Generally psychotropic drugs take 6 weeks for onset of action and needs to be continued for long time. Hence I suggest re valuation of current symptoms of depression to clarify if they are true depressive symptoms or negative symptoms of psychosis. If they are true depresive symptoms psychotherapy modalities like cbt or cognitive behavioural therapy can be added to medication. Other antidepressants like snri are available if escitalopram fails. Hence you need not worry. Wish her good health.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suffering from depression. Taking arpizol, oxetol, escipra. Medicine not effective. Any advice? 14 minutes later
she is telling that outside people are talking bad about her.And she is telling one instance that didnot happen at all in my point of view..And she is in absence of mind.if we call her,she. didnt listen to us and reply after sometime.she walks slowly and always thinking about some time

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for your query. In mental illness like schizophrenia it is possible that patient is suspicious of others and gives a special meaning to events with reference to herself called as referential or persecutory ideas. You can discuss with your psychiatrist the need to increase dosage of aripiprazole which is an antipsychotic. Other antipsychotics like olanzapine are also available for treatment and you can discuss these options with your psychiatrist.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suffering from depression. Taking arpizol, oxetol, escipra. Medicine not effective. Any advice? 16 hours later
On first week of medication she became normal,but now again she is changing to older condition.Very sad,not listening to anyone,thinking about something and always have some fear.

what is the reason for this? Is the medicines doesnot worked on her?

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 hours later
Hello
It is possible that she showed initial response followed by a tapering of response. As I mentioned earlier there is no reason to lose hope since other antipsychotics like olanzapine may work in those cases where aripiprazole fauls. Discuss regarding a change in medication with your psychiatrist.
Dr XXXXXXX