Suffering from constipation, tiredness and bloating. Suggest

General Surgeon
Hi, generally I am very constipated and when I go my stools are like pellets, sometimes I don't go for days on end, but the past few days I have been feeing very tired and bloated , absolutely no energy, and have a constant type of stomach ache and my stools are now very pale yellow, like clay. I just feel so tired. I had a scan for gallstones a couple of weeks ago and that was negative.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Colonoscopy is necessary. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Please note that first of all you should have colon cancer ruled out. It is because the risk of this cancer significantly rises over the age of 50. That is why every person over the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years even if there is no symptoms. Colonoscopy should be also done if any symptoms appear no matter when was the last colonoscopy. Constipation, stomach ache, bloating, lack of energy (due to low hemoglobin for example) are very characteristic symptoms for large intestine issues including cancer. That is why I`m kindly asking you to visit your doctor and have colonoscopy done. Other tests (like blood work, abdominal ultrasound and stool test) should be also done, however colonoscopy is most important right now. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Suffering from constipation, tiredness and bloating. Suggest 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply. At the moment I am on holiday in Israel, I arrived yesterday and will be going home on 22nd November. At the moment I feel a little worried about the pale yellow clay stools, which have only appeared very recently. And the fact that I am so tired and my head feels woozy. Do you think this matter can wait until I get back to the UK, or should I see a doctor here. Maybe as the yellow stools have appeared so quickly I might have an infection? I will go for a colonoscopy when I get back to the UK.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, it might be an infection. Detailed Answer: Yes, mild infection is possible, especially that you are in the country when food contains quite different types of bacteria than your regular food in UK. This bacteria are unknown for your intestines and can cause digestive tract irritation or even infection. However infection usually gives diarrhea as a main symptom. So either its not an infection or it is mild. You can wait with doctors visit if you do not have: lack of gas and stool for few days (obstruction), bloody diarrhea, high fever, frequent vomiting. If any of mentioned symptoms will appear, please consult local doctor. Otherwise a week or two wont make any difference. Please try to avoid fresh foods like fruits and vegetables. Do not drink tap water. Generally boiled foods are the best choice. You should start probiotic supplementation. Hope this will help. Regards.