Suffering from cold. Have sore tonsils and numb tongue. Should I go for medical check up?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello! I've been battling a cold for a week and a half now. Swollen, sore tonsils, post-nasal drip, white streaks on tonsils, and now my tongue is numb/not picking up tastes properly. Should I go see my doc about this?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From the symptoms that you have mentioned, it looks like Upper Pharyngitis. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections.

Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause Mononucleosis (mono) and the Flu, can cause a sore throat. Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) and bacteria like streptococcus can also cause a sore throat.

The swollen tonsils with white streaks are suggestive of an infection in the area.
Altered taste sensation is also a common symptom of throat infection.
Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the sinus congestion.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.