Suffering from chronic mastoiditis. Getting headache. CT scan done. Advice a good antibiotic

Question
Hi
I have been suffering from chronic mastoiditis. I have the following problems:
1. Dull pain in temple region of head and in the neck.

I had a CT scan done which shows subtle soft tissue opacification in the mastoid. I had a mastoidectomy a month ago. Got some relief. Still I am not getting complete relief - dull pain in temple region of head and neck same before and after the operation. My ENT did a culture at the time of operation but that revealed nothing. My ENT is asking me to go to an XXXXXXX Medicine Specialist for correct long term antibiotic therapy as he thinks there might be some residual infection some places beyond the mastoid.
Please advice a good antibiotic that I can take to cure this mastoid bone infection.
XXXXXXX.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 34 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The other causes of the dull headache should be excluded. The causes include tension headache - Chronic contraction of muscles in the upper back, shoulders, neck, back of the head and jaw commonly occur in people who suffer repeated unresolved stress. Migraine, TMJ dysfunction and temporal arteritis.

I advise you to consult physician for thorough examination and to exclude this conditions as they might be responsible. After diagnosing physician can decide on the most appropriate medications for you.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic mastoiditis. Getting headache. CT scan done. Advice a good antibiotic 19 minutes later
Hi

I have been to GP for such tests. All pointed out ear infection for the same. Now what my ENT asks is for a MD to give me proper antibiotic for my case.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 30 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

Temporal arteritis should be excluded as it can present with symptom mentioned. Antibiotics will be helpful when there is an infective foci but your culture has came to be negative. Antibiotics are not that helpful in temporal arteritis. It is better to exclude that can be responsible and then treat accordingly.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic mastoiditis. Getting headache. CT scan done. Advice a good antibiotic 12 hours later
Hi

My ESR is 22. I also had a Antinuclear Antibody test which is negative for auto-immune diseases. So TA is ruled out by my physician.
They are saying it is all related to ear infection. My mastoidectomy gave some relief. However, not full. I took piptaz + oflox for 3 weeks before surgery.
Now can you please suggest some antibiotic which can clear off the remaining infection.
Also let me know if there is some infection will it clear on its own even if I don't take anti-biotics?
How will I know if I still have any infection? My pain is not gone fully.

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Antinuclear antibodies are not very helpful in diagnosing TA. Your ESR is raised, even though It is raised in many conditions, it is also raised in TA. One more thing that you can try is Blood culture and sensitivity to identify the organism if any and also the antibiotic which will be helpful.

Hope the information provided is helpful.

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic mastoiditis. Getting headache. CT scan done. Advice a good antibiotic 28 hours later
Hi

I have a few questions:
1. How serious is chronic mastoiditis?
2. Can the body cure this condition without antibiotics?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

If untreated it is serious, as you have undergone surgery and culture is found to be negative you should be fine.

As mentioned by you and consulting doctor you might be having some residual infection, our body has the immune system it will check it and culture found to bee sterile antibiotics may not be required. You can decide on antibiotics after blood culture.