Suffering from chronic dandruff, anxiety and headache. Is it safe to take nexito?

Mar 2013
Hello Doctor
I am suffering from chronic dandruff and thus visited a dermatologist.
I am not questioning the doctor's recommendation but unsure about the medicine he recommended me to have.
I am prescribed Nexito 5, which looks like to be an anti-depression medicine.
Is it safe to have it ? What are the side effects ? WIll I get dependent on it ?
I also suffer from anxiety and involve in deeep thinking process which leads to headaches!!

Please suggest.
Thank you
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Nexito 5 is definitely an antidepressant medication - Escitalopram.
It is also prescribed for generalised anxiet disorders, which is why you might have been advised to take it.
I fail to see why your dermatologist gave it, and it has no relation with dandruff definitely !
Side effects of the drug are Sleep disturbances, decreased libido, dry mouth, constipation, cardiac side effects , movement disorders , indigestion and increased suicidal tendencies.
I have only listed these to be academically correct, however all medications have side effects and most of these occur on prolonged usage and on high dosage.
Escitalopram should be gradually tapered off, otherwise you may have withdrawal symptoms.
Dependence is not described in literature, and it is relatively safe to take it for short term use at minimal doses.

A word of caution though - start any anti psychiatric medication after consultation and counselling with a Psychiatrist.

Behavioural therapy and counselling might alleviate the need for medication.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Suffering from chronic dandruff, anxiety and headache. Is it safe to take nexito? 3 minutes later
Thanks Doctor!
I stay far away from my home and have almost no friends in the city I am living in.
My doctor asked me all these details before he prescribed the medicine. May be he wanted to know the stress levels I am under !
Would you prescribe the medicine too ? Should I have it or not !
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Hi again
As I said, counselling and therapy by a Psychiatrist might help you and you could improve in your symptoms without medication too.
I urge you to have a session with a good Psychiatrist before starting this medicine.
All the best, dear.