Suffering from chest pain. ECG, lipid profile came normal. Advise course of treatment

hi sir m feeling a chest paing usually when m alone and free..when m doing my work evrything is ok..

My ECG and X XXXXXXX is normal however my heart rate was 135.

My lipid profile test was also normal..
Please let me know wat to do?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Heart related pain usually occurs on physical activity when the heart has to work harder. It can also occur in some persons when they are experiencing stress if the stress provokes an increase in heart rate which would then place an increased work load on the heart. Heart pain is also usually associated with shortness of breath, palpitations

If the pain is occurring at rest, then it is less likely to be due to heart related causes.

Chest pain can occur from any structure in the chest: the skin, the muscles and other soft tissues,the esophagus, the sternum , the ribs, the lungs.

Lesions on the skin such as herpes zoster.

Pain from the lungs can occur in infection such as pneumonia, inflammation of the lining of the lung, blockage of blood vessels in the lung (pulmonary embolism) or if a lesion is present in the lung. Pneumonia would be associated with symptoms of infection.
Inflammation of the lining would cause pain when taking a deep breath and the other conditions would be associated with shortness of breath.

Any inflammation or trauma to the muscles or other soft tissue in the chest can result in pain, this pain would usually be worse when moving in certain positions because the muscles are involved in specific movements

Sterum and ribs
Inflammation of the the area where the ribs attach to the sternum is called costochondritis. It can result in central chest pain which can be severe. It can be worse when moving the trunk of the body and pain is felt when the chest is pressed. It is treated with anti inflammatory pain killers

The esophagus can result in pain if it is inflammed, if it under goes spasm or if there is infection. The history will vary.

Anxiety and stress can also cause chest pain.

Since the ECG and XRay were normal it is unlikely to be due to the heart or lung.

Your doctor can perform tests to determine whether the pain is related to any of the other structures in the chest.
These tests and examination would include: pressing the central chest to see if it results in pain, examination of the skin, imaging to check the esophagus (barium swallow),

If these are normal then it would rule out any of the structures in the chest causing the pain.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions