Suffering from backache and asthma. Suggested for MHC test. Looking for suggestion

One of doctors suggested my dad aged 67 years to under go MHC test, please clarify what is it regarding. He is suffering from acute backache & asthma
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
The MHC means a Major Compatibility Complex testing system. Another name for this is the Human Leucocyte System (HLA) This is a system of genes in the body cells that define the characteristics and behavior of with respect to certain antigen reactions. Particular pain syndromes, especially back pain, are associated to particular MHC or HLA class subtypes. He is certainly looking for the HLA 27 sub type, which is very common in autoimmune diseases that cause back and joint pain like Rheumatoid arthritis and Systemic Lupus eythematosus. There is also growing evidence that these particular complex has a big role to play with respect to odour sensations and abnormalities in humans.
I suggest this test is could also contribute to actually ascertain the relationship between the history of bad odour and his actual state.
Confronting results from clinical examinations, the HLA/MHC results, blood tests, X rays and CT scans usually help in making precise diagnosis and drawing up accurate and effective management plans for such patients.
I think its a good idea form your physician, judging from your dad s medical record.
Hope this helps and I shall be honored answering further questions if any,
Just the best and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.