Has lower back pin. MRI report said mild diffusion seen. Is it serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My friends MRI report of lower back (spine) said "mild diffusion seen"? Is it serious? He has pain in lower back at times.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I have read your query and I would advise the following:

Mild diffusion in MRI is not serious problem. It can be due to sudden stretch or microtrauma. There can be associated spasm of lumbar muscle giving pain in back region only.
He may need lumbar corset support for some days.
Avoid lifting weights or going to gym.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will help him fix the problem.
Some medication like neurotropic and muscle relaxant with analgesic will help.

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.

Follow-up: Has lower back pin. MRI report said mild diffusion seen. Is it serious? 16 hours later
Thank you doctor for the reply.

7 years back he had experienced back pain and in blood test HLA-B27 gene was detected. However, there is no major pain in back. He can do all activities well like playing cricket, football etc. Is it concern for Ankylosing Spondylitis? Can you please enlighten me about it. And can mild diffusion be related to it?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes mild diffusion is related

Detailed Answer:

As you said his blood detected HLA B27 gene, indicates he is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis.
Spine and hip are most commonly involved in ankylosing spondylitis. Stiffness may go on increasing if proper exercises and physiotherapy is not balanced.
He is doing all sports activity indicate his joints are flexible.

Its a systemic disease and mainly involve tendon attachment of bones.
Yes mild diffusion can be related to ankylosis ,but I advise you to attach complete MRI report so that I can get more detail information.

Follow-up: Has lower back pin. MRI report said mild diffusion seen. Is it serious? 52 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the reply.
At present i dont have reports as he conducted the MRI in delhi and I am in mumbai. I will attach when I get it. Can you please tell me how dreadful is this? In long term too? Do people get cure with this disease?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can reduce pain by proper therapy

Detailed Answer:

Ankylosing spondylitis is not fatal for life,but in long term say 10 to 20 yrs its stiffness may go on increasing if nothing done today.

If he takes proper exercise and physiotherapy he will keep his body fit.
There is no cure available for this ,but we can live life at optimum level with our efforts.

Do not worry,