Suffering from arthritis. Not getting relief. Any effective treatment?

My mother is suffering from arthritis for last 6 years.

she has tried all options from exercise to yoga as well as different oil massage.but nothing is providing any relief to her.

I feel so sad when i see her in pain.
Please let me know any treatment is there which can be done ?
?I don't want to go for surgery?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later

I believe your mother is suffering from knee osteoarthritis.

This is a condition caused by wearing down of cartilage, which is like a soft bone between two bones and provides cushioning and flexibility to the joint.

What helps in this condition is exercise and physiotherapy. But I believe it has not helped your mother; maybe you can give it a fresh start with the help of an experienced physiotherapist.

Other thing is to apply a pain gel regularly, local measures like hot fomentation. Also some medication like s adenosyl methionine and duloxetine help. So are others like intraarticular steroid and hyaluronate injections. You may discuss these options with your treating doctor.

Let me know if you need clarifications.