Suffering from allergy. Have runny nose. Any proper medication?

ENT Specialist
Dear Sir,

I am 27 years old boy from kolkata. I am suffering from allergy since last 8 years due to following cause:
a) Change in weather from summer to winter.
b) In complete Winter season.
c) Dust particle.- whenever exposed to dust.

Effects: change in season and in winter
Step-1 Running nose and sneezing - continue approx 3-4days
Step-2 cough - continue approx 7-8 days
Step-3 Difficulty in breathing/breathing distress with cough (worsen at night, awakening) - mainly in night ..continue till i take the below mentioned medicine.
Current medicine:
1.Ketasma tar
2. Cetzine 10mg
3. Montair 5 mg

Effect by dust - start running nose continue when in that environment..I will be ok without any medicine after few minutes.

Note - My grandmother had Asthma

Please note that when I am taking these medicine I am okay. I have visited many doctors and they clarified that I have a Asthmatic problems and permanent solution is not possible, I need to take regular medicine. Some doctors have been also suggested inheller. Please suggest what to do??? I am very depressed. Please help me..

Thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. You have already identified a nonspecific allergy to sudden change in temperature and a specific inorganic allergy to dust.

2. There is no cure for allergy. However it may be controlled.

3. Avoidance is the best defense but is not possible with the above allergies.

4. Take regular steam inhalation and saline nasal washes. After a bad bout of cold and cough, it takes many months for the inflammation within the sinuses to subside. You may need a course of nasal steroid spray such a Nasonex (mometasone) in addition to your current medication.

5. The reduction of inflammation leads to an improvement in the ventilation of the sinuses and nasal cavity which helps their XXXXXXX lining (mucosa) to heal and return to normal. You asthma will also reduce with proper treatment.

6. Get your nose examined and a nasal endoscopy done. The color of the nasal lining (mucosa) give an indication of the type of allergy. Normal nasal mucosa is moist and pink. A pale mucosa responds quickly to a nasal steroid spray rather than an inhaler. A reddish purple mucosa means that there is severe acute allergy. AN intense red mucosa means an active cold (rhinitis) or a vasomotor (intrinsic) rhinitis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.