Suffering from abdominal pain, diarrhea, sweating and period started. Looking for relief

I have had diahrrea with a stomach ache and minor sweats the last two days. The pain is in my upper abdomen and it comes and goes. I also started my period yesterday, I don't really feel bad, I just can't stay off the toilet
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
thanks for the query.

You are suffering from an acute diarrhea. The common causes of acute diarrhea include:
-viral infections such as rota virus
-bacterial infections such as Campylobacter, Salmonella, E. coli etc
-Parasitic infection such as Giardia and Entamoeba etc and

The majority of acute diarrhea are caused by viruses and generally subside within a few days. Abdominal pain is a common feature but fever is rare unlike in bacterial infections.
In the case of indigestion, the first symptom is bloating, a feeling of being over full accompanied by abdominal discomfort and repeated belging, gas and then the diarrhea.

The appearance of fever, whitish stools, or blood in stools, or family members with diarrhea as well, or feeling of increase thirst or diarrhea persisting for over three days necessitate a consultation at the doctor.

The main arm of treatment of acute diarrhea is prevention of dehydration which could be severe and lethal. Re-hydration is done by drinking abundantly oral re-hydration salt or meat soups. This has to be done continuously and after each each watery stool.

You should take Metronidazole 250mg: 6 tablets daily for five days and albendazole 400mg single dose.
You should also take in food stuff that will cut down the diarrhea such as carrot juice and enough banana.

Visiting a doctor if one of the above mentioned symptoms is available will be accompanied by a stool test which will check for the presence of an infectious agent through microscopy.

So in a nut shell:
- increase fluids: oral re-hydration salt or soups
-Metronidazole 250mg and albendazole
-carrot juice and ripe banana
-Watch out for alert symptoms, if any present visit a doctor immediately

Hope this answers you query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Wish you a speedy recovery.