Suffering from a pain from thigh to calf muscles. Should go for some home therapy or physiotherapy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am suffering from a pain in the lower muscles of my right leg, mainly from thigh to calf muscles.
It started last Tuesday after driving for 1.5 hrs under heavy traffic conditions on the Marathahalli bridge up-slope. At its peak, the pain started at the hip joint and went all the way to the toes. Also, there is some discomfort in the knee area as well - both the cap and the area underneath.
Although the pain has reduced considerably after taking regular hot water packs and avoiding driving, it is still not fully gone.
Please suggest if I should go for some home therapy/ physiotherapy/ medicine for this. Also, is this something serious?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Seems you have suffered from muscle cramp - involving thigh & leg on Right side. Since it is almost a week and the pain has reduced, it does not seem to be serious.

I would suggest you to avoid driving until the pain settle down completely. Continue with hot water packs twice-thrice a day. Do not do any exercises at present; it can precipitate the attack again.

A course of muscle relaxants with analgesics for a week may be beneficial to you - Myospas TH or Flexispas. These medications have to be taken with proper prescription from your doctor.

Get well soon. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Suffering from a pain from thigh to calf muscles. Should go for some home therapy or physiotherapy? 3 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thank you for the quick response.
A few queries:
1. Myospas TH or Flexispas - are these ointments/ sprays? If not, can you please suggest some ointments/ sprays which can expedite the process?

2. I have temporarily stopped driving. However, I can carry on with my day-to-day-activities like going to office, etc, right?

3. Can you please suggest some exercises which can help strengthen the back and the leg muscles, once the pain subsides?

Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

1.Myospas TH & Flexispas comes in capsules. Over counter sprays like Volini can be used over your knee joint. Please get a proper dosage prescription after consulting your doctor.

2. Yes you can continue your routine activities if they do not hurt you. Avoid squatting, sitting cross-legged, using stairs for a while.

3. Straight leg rising without bending the knee, quadriceps-strengthening exercises with weight added to ankle help in improving your thigh muscles. Pelvic bridging exercises, Birddog, the plank, alternative leg & arm raise are exercises to strengthen the back muscles.