Suffering from a coccyx pain. Is there any cure available for this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question

I am a 44 yrs old male. I have been suffering from a coccyx pain for almost 5 years now. Initially the pain was very severe, I use to find it very difficult to get up from the chair. Now the pain is not that much but after prolonged period of sitting I still feel lot of pain. Is there any cure for this pain?

XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

You are suffering from coccydynia- inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx)

Cure for your coccyx pain-

1.Use a well-padded seat when sitting and avoid long periods of sitting when possible.
2.Do sitz bath- take warm water in a tub and sit in this.It will relax the muscles around the coccyx.
3.Do exercises that will strengthen your tailbone's supporting muscles and stretch ligaments near the pain. Consult a physiotherapist for this. Therapists may perform a combination of:
Levator ani massage and Levator ani stretching.
4.Correct your posture. Poor posture may be contributing to your tailbone pain. Try to sit upright. If you get a sharp pain when getting up from a sitting position, lean forward and arch your back before rising.
5.You can take anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
6.Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon