Suffering from Renal tubular acidosis. Taking schols solution, potassium, multivitamin and calcium. Permanent cure?

My daughter is suffering from renal tubular acidosis. This was diagnosed when she was one year old. She is on schols solution 25 thrice a day, potassium 5 ml twice a day, multivitamin 5 ml twice a day and calcium 5 ml once a day. She is stable now. No problems. She is healthy and doing well. I would like to know if there is any treatment for her. if she can be cured. Or is there any diet she can follow. Do you recommend any medicines.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 11 hours later

Renal tubular acidosis is a disorder in the kidneys where the kidneys are unable to conserve bicarbonate and potassium. Although she is doing well now it would not be safe to discontinue the above medicines as they are supplementing the bicarbonate and potassium. Some patients may, recover. She will need to be reassessed by a nephrologist, with a serum and urine bicarbonate level, before any change in treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Suffering from Renal tubular acidosis. Taking schols solution, potassium, multivitamin and calcium. Permanent cure? 10 hours later
thank you for your reply. I would also like to know if there is any treatment to completely cure her. Also is there a special diet to follow or any other recommended supplements that would be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 9 hours later

There is no specific treatment restrictions or supplements needed in addition to the supplements she is receiving. In growing years a child needs a variety of nutrients and needs to take a balanced diet. Though some people claim some foods are alkaline and may benefit by neutralizing acid, the amounts normally consumed cannot supplement the daily needs.

Neutralizing of acid is a lifelong need, inappropriate discontinuation of treatment, can lead to growth retardation, kidney stones, bone disease, chronic kidney disease, and possibly total kidney failure. (These develop gradually and without much symptoms till it is too late.)

Please do not discontinue these supplements.