Suffering from RARS. Done blood transfusion. Bone marrow test showing dyserythropoiesis and ring sideroblasts. How to increase the hemoglobin levels?

i am a marine engineer(chief engineer) aged 65 years. I am suffering from mds rars. it was detected on 27.11.2010. i have no other problem except dropping of blood hemoglobin level. i have already took blood transfusionfor four times.vitamin b-12 levellast checked on01.12. 10.was 719.ferritin level1562. bone marrowrevealsmegaloblastic changedyserythropoiesis and ring sideroblasts.erythropoietin level1202. initially i was given t.pyridoxine for 06 months but no improvement. then i was given trental400mg,danazol 200 mgcolchincine0.5 for 03 months but no improvement.when blood hemglobin dropped i feel palpidation. now all medicine stopped. present level of hemo is around 8.0 pl. advice
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
RARS ( Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts) is a clonal disorder characterized by ineffective erythropoiesis and hemopoiesis in the bone marrow. The cause of the changes in the bone marrow is unknown.
Since your erythropoietin and Vitamin B12 levels are normal, there is no need for any replacement therapy.
In your case only symptomatic treatment is needed with repeated blood transfusions to combat the anemia. You can also discuss the newer immune based therapies for treatment with your doctor. Bone marrow transplant may be considered in severe cases.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.