Ask a Homeopath   »  

Suffering from IGA nephropathy with acute renal failure. Now having renal fibrosis. Suggest an alternative for treatment

I am writing this for my brother who is suffering from IGA nephropathy from past 9 yrs and with acute renal failure. currently he has been diagnosed with renal fibrosis .he is taking Ramipril 5mg and losarton 25mg one time a day.

please suggest some treatment which can help to overcome and help to recover . we used Homeopathy,Ayurveda and Chineese herbal medicine for recovering the kidney disease but none helped and rather the condition became more worse. please help
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Alternative Medicine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for posting the query.
I feel sad on seeing the reports of your brother which show continuous deterioration of kidney functions over past few months.
Creatinine and potassium are rising and eGFR is continually deteriorating and reached a level of 16 which show that chronic kidney disease is heading towards end stage renal failure.
 Renal fibrosis is the inevitable consequence of an excessive accumulation of extracellular matrix that occurs in virtually every type of chronic kidney disease. The pathogenesis of renal fibrosis is a progressive process that ultimately leads to end-stage renal failure, a devastating disorder that requires dialysis or kidney transplantation. In a simplistic view, renal fibrosis represents a failed wound-healing process of the kidney tissue after chronic, sustained injury. 
 Not unexpectedly, mono-therapeutic approaches, or even a combination of therapies, fail to completely stop the progression of renal fibrosis.
Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEI) and angiotensin II receptor type 1 blockers (ARB) are undisputedly the first line drugs in combating renal fibrosis. These drugs, however, are not able to halt the progression completely.
That is the reason your brother is being given ramipril( ACEI) and losartan(ARB).
There are other treatments being evolved for the treatment of renal fibrosis like
Immunosuppressants,stem cell transplantation etc but still every thing is under trial and no concrete treatment has been evolved as yet.
Permanent treatment,at the moment lies in renal transplant only.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Suffering from IGA nephropathy with acute renal failure. Now having renal fibrosis. Suggest an alternative for treatment 24 hours later
Thanks for the response. we are interested to undergo stem cell transplantation, could you please help to provide where can we get this done reliably either in US,UK or any other clinics which has supportive results for such kind of cases
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
US FDA  has not approved any stem cell-based products for use, other than cord blood-derived hematopoietic progenitor cells (blood forming stem cells) for certain indications including certain blood cancers and some inherited metabolic and immune system disorders 

however a  doctor in Gujarat claims he has pioneered a technique of kidney transplantation using human embryonic stem cells that not only overcomes the problem of organ rejection but also cuts treatment cost dramatically.

Researchers across the world have been grappling with the problem of rejection of the kidney transplanted in the recipient. To overcome this situation, patients are given strong immunosuppressants that leave them vulnerable to infections as they lower immunity.

However, H.L. Trivedi of the Civil Hospital here says his procedure does away with the need of immunosuppressants, thus lowering the cost of the transplantation. 

The treatment cost comes down to Rs.100,000 ($2,100) from the present about Rs.1 million ($21,600). Expenditure on subsequent maintenance is also reduced from around Rs.15,000 to a mere Rs.300.

"Though work is going on in Harvard, Stanford and Pittsburgh, we are the first in the world to use human embryonic stem cells to generate new equivalent cells in laboratory," Trivedi, director of the Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre at the hospital, told IANS. 

Human embryonic stem cells have the ability to develop into any other cell produced in the human body. Thus they have the potential to treat a range of diseases including Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, spinal cord injuries and burns.

Kidney failure has emerged as the third most common killer across the world after cancer and heart diseases. 

The technique used by Trivedi and his team of doctors comprising XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Vanikar, XXXXXXX Modi and XXXXXXX Shah has given a new lease of life to 20 patients not only from India but also Nigeria and Kenya and the US who are afflicted with kidney
Since I don't know the exact address of them,you have to find them out which should not be difficult.
I personally don't know any thing about them and you have to pursue the matter  your self regarding the authenticity of such claims however I still maintain that the best answer is kidney transplant.
You have to take decision your self regarding giving a try for stem cell transplant