Suffering from IBS and diarrhea. Suggest medication?

Hi , I am suffering from ibs and diaahrea for the past 12hrs . What medicine should I take ?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti spaomodic,Anti secretary,ORS & Antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I understand your concern. I too see lot of patients in my clinic with similar complaints.

1. If you are suffering from only loose stool with mild discomfirt in abdomen then take Cap. Racecodotril and anti spasmodic drug (like buscopan) with plenty of oral fluids and regular diet.

2. If infection, the loose stool is associated with fever, severe pain abdomen and dehydration then you may require antibiotic. I usually give Tab Ofloxacin and ornidazole (Antibiotic), Tab. Pantoprazole, Cap. Racecodotril (anti secretary), Tab Paracetamol 650mg(For fever) a probiotic capsule and ORS solution (minimum 2 liters / day) to my patients with similar complaints. For pain you can take anti spasmodic drug (buscopan).

3. If the symptoms worsens and severe dehydration then you may require to take intravenous treatment.

So I advice you to consult your doctor once to diagnose you based on examination (if required stool microscopic examination) and to manage as explained earlier.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish your husband faster recovery and good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from IBS and diarrhea. Suggest medication? 30 minutes later
The symptoms are very mild and I am on normaxin now .. Will normaxin do the job or should i switchover to buscopan ?
And is it okay to take normaxin with eldoper ..?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can take Normaxin. Avoid eldoper

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for writing back.

Since the symptoms are mild you can take Cap. Racecodotril (Instead of eldoper. As eldoper can increase the infection if present) and anti spasmodic drug for pain(like buscopan/dicyclomine) with plenty of oral fluids.

Normaxin contains chlordiazepoxide (anti anxiety), clidinium bromide and dicyclomine hydrochloride (anti spasmodic). This will help you for pain but not for loose stool. But avoid eldoper since we dont know whether you are suffering from infection and it acts better if taken before the symptom. Instead can take racecpdotril.

In my first answer I Wished as good health for husband. Am sorry for that as I was discussing another case after answering your query and mistyped here.

Hope this helps you.

Wish you faster recovery. Feel free to ask if you have any query.
Follow-up: Suffering from IBS and diarrhea. Suggest medication? 9 hours later
So I'm on normaxin , redotil and ornof now and I'm fine ... Thanks ...
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good news. Right drug combination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, It good news. I am happy.

This is good combination. Complete the full course of Ornof (antibiotic).

I wish you a very good health.
Feel free to ask me any health related issues. I will be happy to answer them.