Suffer sore throat, irritation in muscle under tongue and around hyoid bone. Is this a matter of concern?

ENT Specialist
I'm a 32 year old male. For the past couple of days my throat has been a bit sore...mainly more irritating than sore. It was first in the muscle area under my tongue. Then it moved to the area around my hyoid bone. Then just tonight it moved down to around my sternal notch area. If I apply a bit of pressure around my esophagus and release there is a little pain, nothing excruciating. It almost feels like there is something stuck in my throat, but I know there isn't. I'm not sure if it calls for concern and I don't want to worry myself, just want some peace of mind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 27 minutes later
Hello XXXXX,
You probably need a Flexible fiber optic nasopharyngo-laryngoscopy-- to visualize the throat with fiber optic scope.

You must get this done by an ENT specialist along with examination of throat and neck.

You must also take care of reflux ie acidity or heartburn.
Also, if you smoke or take alcohol, then stop taking it.

This migrating pain could be because of --
Nerve irritation due to some food, alcohol etc
Acid reflux from stomach to throat, which occurs specially during sleep.
It may also be due to dental origin.
Do not worry but get examined to rule out the cause.

If in doubt do reply.
Follow-up: Suffer sore throat, irritation in muscle under tongue and around hyoid bone. Is this a matter of concern? 1 hour later
I will look into going to a Dr. To add to this though, does it seem odd that if I consume a lot of water the irritation/pain subsides a bit? Almost like my throat is just extremely dry. I'm a CST and completed a year and a half of pre med so I'm not ignorant to a lot of the things that are out there, however, it seems like I try and "self diagnose" all too often. :) The huge downside of that is that I freak myself out a lot because I do that. From what I've described do you think there is any life threatening or severe concern that I should fear? I just don't want it to be a thyroid or other gland issue. I will also add that I have had episodes where I wake in the night gasping for air because of reflux. So it makes me wonder if GERD is a possibility and esophageal erosion is occurring? I just want my mind at ease. Thank you for your help it is appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 19 hours later
Hello again,

Your symptoms do not match thyroid gland problems. GERD does play a larger role. I suggest you try antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs (omeprazole or esmoprazole) to take care of GERD etc
In addition eat a healthy, low spiced, regular meal. Avoid hitting the bed immediately after dinner. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption; avoid late night night coffee/tea; early morning walks can be helpful.

The throat irritation needs to be evaluated as mentioned above. I still insists on endoscopy to all my patients.

With the right management which includes managing GERD, you should be able to feel better.

Let me know if you need clarifications.