Suffer severe low back pain. Had herniated disc. Diagnosed with bone spurs in neck and bulging disc. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I WOKE UP AT 3 AM LAST WEEK WITH SEVERE LOW BACK PAIN . I AM 63 230LBS, HAD HERNIATED DISC
SURGERY 2/1/2010 L4/5. IN HOSPITAL 3 DAYS TOTAL . I WAS 100% BETTER. I STILL HAVE BACK PAIN IF I DO ANY LIFTING,BENDING,STOOPING ETC. I HAD MRI WITH & WITHOUT CONTRAST NEUROSURGEON DIAGNOSED BONE SPURS IN NECK, 3 BULGING DISCS @ THORACIC AREA, & SPINAL STENOSIS. ALL FROM GYMNASTICS IN HIGH SCHOOL I WAS A FIRST IN STATE TUMBLER. MY SEVERE BACK PAIN ENDED UP BEING A BACK SPASM GAVE MUSCLE RELAXERS, HOT PACKS & COMPLETELY GONE NEXT DAY. THIS HAPPENED TO ME ABOUT 10 YRS AGO SAME THING SAME RESULT. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF FURTHER PROBLEMS
SUCH AS HIPS,KNEES,OTHER FROM THIS GYMNASTICS IN THE FUTURE AND WHAT CAUSES SUCH SEVERE BACK SPASMS AND I MEAN SEVERE. XXXXXXX D
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The back spasms that you had are related to the degenerative disc disease which is an age related degenerative change in the spine.
Regular physiotherapy and back strengthening exercises are the only way to decrease the progression of these degenerative changes. The occasional muscle spasms can be prevented with these exercises.
The chances of having a problem in the knees and other joints are same as in any other person of your age. The age related degenerative changes can cause osteoporosis and joint pains later in the life. You are not at an increased risk of joint problems.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.