Suffer severe headache. Have chronic fungal sinusitis. Allergic to aspirin. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am on vacation and need a dr to help with meds for a severe headache. I have chronic fungal sinusitus and am allergic to aspirin and insaids
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. In your earlier question you have mentioned only allergy to Tylenol. Tylenol contains acetaminophen which is not an NSAID.

2. If you also have allergy to NSAIDs, medication such as Tramadol, Nimesulide, Cox 2 inhibitors, Flupirtine, Cyclobenzaprine, opioids and so on may help.

3. Allergy to all painkillers is rare, you will require a trial of any of the above medications to be sure. Injectable painkillers is an option as mentioned before. This is best done in a hospital where you can be observed and anti-allergic medication can be given.

4. Other supportive medication such as anti-emetics, decongestants, mucolytics, steroid nasal sprays and steam inhalation may help relieve the symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffer severe headache. Have chronic fungal sinusitis. Allergic to aspirin. What can be done? 5 minutes later
I am allergic to motrin. Naproxin alleve the only thing i am able to take is tylenol. I have used tylenol based pain killers in the past for these headaches and they work. My pfoblem is i dont have anything to give me any relief rightnow vecause i am on vacation. Can you help me with this headache by prescribing something that will help

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Even if you do not have a painkiller, You may take regular plain steam inhalation (half an hour), OTC nasal decongestant drops and an anti-allergic decongestant or mucolytic medication.

2. You will probably require a local doctor's prescription.

3. If you share your location, it may be possible to suggest some brand names.

Regards.