Suffer recourring bouts of diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, sweats, chills, headaches and frequent urination. Remedy?

I am been having a variey of symptoms for more than 5 weeks. Background: Abdominal rash appeared. 3" by 1" in size. Thought is was fungus or ring worm. Have used every OTC antifungal and hydrocortisone product to no avail. For the past 5 weeks I have had recourring bouts of diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, sweats, chills, headaches, restlessness, and nights with frequent urination , up to 5-6 times a night ( even when I havn't been drinking much)which has lead to many nights with little sleep. I am now sleep deprived but I cannot get comfortable enough to fall a sleep and stay asleep. I am wondering if I could have picked up a parasite somewhere. At first the episodes were 7-10 days apart now they are every 2-3 days.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would first of all love to tackle the issue with the rash first. Other characteristics of the rash like itches, pain, swelling, and spread to other regions could be important to be precised. Whether it contained clear fluid, had a whitish content, has been recurrent could be important in the clinical evaluation. A physical examination by your family physician, with direct examination of this rash under a dermatological lens, coupled with clinical characteristics should be sufficient to give an appropriate clue for a diagnosis.

The problems you face with an altered general health status as you describe needs a close look. Firstly, an infectious process has to be carefully excluded under such circumstances. A history of recent travel should be imported, for picking up of specific germs could occur under such circumstances. It is utmost importance to know if you have any past history of diabetes mellitus. I am afraid under circumstances of excessive urination and abdominal discomfort as such, blood glucose measurements to exclude diabetes is a systematic procedure that should be carried out. A symptoms.

I suggest you book an appointment with your family care physician for a proper clinical examination. Blood glucose, urine examination and culture to exlcude a urinary tract infection, stool examinations and cultures, complete blood count and culture in search for raised white blood cells as markers of infection, acute phase indicators for inflammation (C reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rates) are sufficient to make appropraite diagnosis. Other examinations to exclude causes of chronic febrile or unwell states like chest X XXXXXXX an abdominal ultrasound and endoscopy in case of suspicion of gastritis or colonic tumors could be asked. To be excluded urgently are a urinary tract infection, diabetes mellitus, a gastritis/gastrointestinal infection and generalized blood infection or sepsis

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Feel free asking further questions in case you need more help. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Suffer recourring bouts of diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, sweats, chills, headaches and frequent urination. Remedy? 1 hour later
The rash has not spread but it is raised with a rough texture and it is very itchy at times. It sounds strange but when it gets itchy I can soon expect to have all the other symptoms. I neglected to say that I have blood work done every year with my physical and my glucose levels are always very good. The frequent urination has none of the characteristics of a UTI. There is no pain, discomfort or unusual order. When the symptoms reoccur I do often have achyness. It feels like the same kind of achyness I get when I am running a fever yet I am not running one. Is it costly to find out if it is a parasite, or can it be done with blood tests and stool samples.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 15 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the clarifications.

It sounds necessary therefore for a primary care physician to examine these lesions. The characteristics make diagnosis very clear. It however, though you have tried anti fungals already, it still sounds some kind of a fungal infection or something inflmmatory that requires steroid use. Consult your primary care physician.

You actually need to get blood tests done again I am afraid. Blood cultures, stool exams and cultures could be very important. Urine analysis and cultures, though without classical signs and symptoms of Electrolyte analysis in urine and blood could be good guides.

I think you book an appointment as I earlier suggested. Feel free making further clarifications or asking further questions. Kind regards and wishing you good health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.